Tuesday, August 18, 2015

See My Editor Tear My Work to Shreds

The Short version:
An author tries not to cry as he reads the "suggested" changes from his editor on the first page of his manuscript.

The Details
This is a page from my soon to be released book, Flickers. It's a novel set in Hollywood during the silent movie era. I've lost track of how many drafts I've done of this book. Let's just put it at more than ten and fewer than two hundred. And yet, there are still mistakes made. Places that can be cleaned up. Prose that can be un-purpled. And that's why we have editors (this post goes hand in hand with my "My Editor Says These Two Words I Use Make Kitties Cry" post).

The Edits
Just click on the image to make it bigger. Click a second time and it will grow even bigger. Click a third time and you'll be able to see the tear stains on the page.
flickersedit
Gratingly yours,
Art

No comments: